Thursday 14 June 2012

SharePoint document Category : double check for typo

Today's story is only to show how this product (SharePoint) is known by the end-users.

When they do modification into their documents, and the result is different as expected, it is always SharePoint's fault.

Today, a colleague of mine call me :
- Hey, Mr SharePoint. There is a problem. Can you check ?
- Yes, what is the problem - I said.
- I've change the category of my document, and it is gone from SharePoint.
- Ok, let's check in explorer view (Documents are still on SharePoint 2007 platform).

... Of course, the document is in the library.

- So, what have you done ?  -- I asked.
- I've changed the category, like this (he saved the doc on his laptop, then delete it from SharePoint, and upload it again)
So, my colleague repeat what he does previously, and I checked all the settings he choose, specially the category.

Then, he said, like a winner : "Look, my doc is not there !!!"

- Yes, but check the next category .... you'll find it !!!!

So, SharePoint made what he was asked to do.
The used category was not the same as the expected one. Instead of "IIS 7.0", the selected category was "IIS 7"

So, double pay attention to the typo when creating categories.

Now, my colleague's nickname is "PEBKAC"

SharePoint 1 - PEBKAC 0



That's all folks

No comments:

Post a Comment