Thursday 16 May 2013

How to restore the "default.aspx" in SharePoint Designer 2010

Hi all,

Today, I got a ticket concerning the fact that the “default.aspx” was deleted in a Site Collection.


My first question was “How did they achieve this?”, because they cannot delete system files, as SharePoint Designer 2010 access is limited at the Web Application level:



So, I had to open the Site Collection in SharePoint Designer 2010 with full access to be able to view all files.

To do this, I’ve allowed the Web Application option : “Allow Site Collection Administrators to see the URL Structure of their Web Site”
Then, I’ve opened the Site Collection in SharePoint Designer 2010, and set back the options in “SharePoint Designer Settings” as our default settings. (this, to avoid other clients to open their site in SharePoint Designer 2010 and letting them braking their site)

In SPD2010 (SharePoint Designer 2010), the “default.aspx” was missing.
But, I saw the file “Organogram.pptx” with the blue icon.
Checking it’s properties gave me the satisfaction that the “default.aspx” was overwritten by the .pptx, but was still known by SharePoint as the “default.aspx” file.





So, I decided to do a “Reset to Site Definition” of this file :



The .pptx file was “cleaned” (check it’s size), and the original faulty .pptx is now set as a copy, and not simply deleted:



Thus, I’ve renamed the “clean” .pptx into “default.aspx



A page refresh, and the client site is now up’n running again:



Job's done.

7 comments:

  1. I have a sp 2010 site recently migrated from sp 2007 that does not open. There is something obviously bad on the site, and I am trying to figure out how to proceed to clean up things so that the users can access their lists and libraries.

    I have tried resetting to site definition for the entire site and there is no change to the problem with that.
    Do you have other suggestions of things that I could do to try to repair the site?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larry,
    First thing first: did you have a correlation ID, an error message.
    Did you check your ULS logs?

    Also, as you've written, the migrated site from Shp 2007 to 2010 didn't work anymore.
    Did you remove the installed feature?
    How did you migrate the site?

    If you still have access to the site via SharePoint 2007, I'll proceed like this :
    - create a new DB
    - backup the site
    - restore the site (with a different name) on this new DB
    - remove all feature installed on the site
    - check the DB (Test-SPContentDatabase)
    - When error free, I'll try a detach/attach DB from Shp2007 to Shp2010

    You can check here: http://blog.armgasys.com/?p=284

    Hope this will help you.
    Regards,
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this information. I have just signed up for a free SharePoint site with http://www.cloudappsportal.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link, Peter.
    I'm happy to share my production info.
    I have the chance to manage SharePoint 2010 & 2013 farms, in huge environments.
    +14000 users; 6 Shp 2010 Farms (17 servers); 13 Shp 2013 Farms (64 servers and will keep growing)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    I am read your post. It is very useful information for seo services.Thanks for the sharing this Blog. It is very useful professional knowledge. Very nice work. I especially like the icons and quick links.
    Restoration Web Design

    ReplyDelete
  6. Repair and recover lost, corrupt or inaccessible SharePoint databases with complete accuracy using to Sharepoint Recovery Tool Software . Whatever may be the reason of corruption of your SharePoint Server database MDF files,

    we have a solution for you:- http://www.filesrecoverytool.com/sharepoint-database-repair.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. The post is written in very a good manner and it entails many useful information for me. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post.


    Restoration Web Design

    ReplyDelete